parkrun, the free weekly 5k running phenomenon that has swept the UK since modest beginnings in 2004, relies fundamentally on a committed legion of volunteers who regularly help out on a Saturday morning. In recognition of this, parkrun has teamed up with the Join In initiative, a campaign that aims to promote and recognise the contribution volunteers make to their local community.
With 2013 termed the 'year of the volunteer', Join In's focus will be to highlight the great work that volunteers do across all sport in the UK and to build on the inspiration of the games makers and London 2012 to reach out to new volunteers.
The Join In 2013 colloboration with parkrun will span seven Saturdays between July 27 and September 9, with a different volunteering challenge on offer on each of the mornings. So, on the following dates, parkrun organisers are looking for volunteers who fall into these categories:
- 27 July - Junior parkrunners (accompanied by an adult)
- 3 August - 10, 50, 100 & 250 club members (juniors accompanied by an adult)
- 10 August - Male parkrunners
- 17 August - Female parkrunners
- 24 August - Faster parkrunners (those with an age grade over 70%)
- 31 August - Families
- 7 September - People who've never been to a parkrun before
If you are interested in volunteering, and you are a registered parkrunner, go to the 'manage my profile' section on your weekly email from parkrun.