5 Mar

Southampton Sold Out

Race logo

The first ever ABP Southampton Half Marathon & 10k is a complete sell-out with all 6,000 places reserved well ahead of the entry deadline.

The inaugural event takes place on 26 April 2015 with a capacity field. Both closed road races start and finish in the heart of Southampton’s city centre and cross the Itchen Bridge, with the course passing iconic local landmarks including the Bargate, QE2 Anchor and St Mary’s Stadium.

Organisers of the event say they are delighted with the speed at which runners have pledged their support for the races – testament to the widespread interest in running, charity fundraising and the prospect of taking in key sights in the city.

“We identified a gap in the market for a half marathon in Southampton and we are delighted that our confidence and enthusiasm has been shared by so many,’’ said race director Chris Rees from Marafun UK.

“The whole city has shown its support with runners, charities and businesses all being part of the event and runners from around the country have given the event a real thumbs up by signing up every single place available.’’

Chris said the philosophy of providing an event for novices and experts has been borne out by the entry list - 47% say this will be their first half marathon while the remaining 53% are more regular competitors.

“We have a great mix of competitors which is what this event is all about.’’ He said.

In addition to individual runners the entry list includes more than 50 running clubs, 500 charity spaces and more than 100 companies taking part in the corporate challenge.