England Athletics is hosting a Marathon Coaching Conference at the University of Warwick on April 2-3. Speakers include British record-holder Steve Jones, leading coaches George Gandy and Lindsay Dunn and top physiologist Barry Fudge. The event will provide a great opportunity for coaches to learn more about preparing athletes for successful marathon performances. Attendees will benefit from the presentations given by experts as well as from the opportunities to discuss the topics raised, their own experiences and other topics with one another.
Prices have been subsidised by England Athletics as part of their work to support and develop England's coaches. The weekend also includes a dinner and event where many of the great Coventry Godiva endurance athletes who enjoyed international success at marathon and other distances will share their experiences.
Current prices are discounted but there is limited availability on these subsidised prices. Once these places have been booked prices will no longer be subsidised and will therefore be higher so please book early to make the most of this offer.
Among those to be presenting and leading workshops at the event will be:
- Lindsay Dunn - Coach to Charlie Spedding, the last British man to medal in an Olympic marathon, as well as to many other top distance runners in the North East. Lindsay is also an England Athletics Area Coach Mentor for endurance
- George Gandy - UK Athletics National Event Coach for Endurance and coach to two time Olympic fourth placer Jon Brown. George has also worked with athletes such as Seb Coe, Lisa Dobriskey and Jack Buckner from his base at Loughborough University
- Dr Barry Fudge - a physiologist who has studied the environmental factors leading to the success of elite east African runners and who now works as a Senior Physiologist at the English Institute of Sport, providing support to UK Athletics on areas including altitude training
- Prof Ron Maughan - Professor of Sport and Exercise Nutrition, Loughborough University, and Chair of the Sports Nutrition group established by the IOC Medical Commission in 2002. Ron has acted as an adviser to UK Sport, UK Athletics, The FA, FIFA, The Irish Sports Council and other sporting bodies
- Steve Jones - British coach based at altitude in Colorado in the US who works with athletes from a number of countries. Steve is well known as having held the world record for the marathon as well as winning big city marathons in London and Chicago
- Tracey Morris - who famously went from a 3:39 recreational marathon runner to representing Great Britain in the Olympics and European Championships as well as the England Athletics Team in the Commonwealth Games
- Bud Baldaro - England Athletics National Coach Mentor (Endurance, 10k and above). Bud coached two time Chicago marathon winner Marian Sutton and 2:09 marathon runner Tony Milovsorovo as well as current international marathon runners
- Dave Moorcroft - Former World and British record holder for 5K
- Martin Rush - England Athletics National Coach Mentor (Endurance and Walks). Martin has coached Olympic, World Cup and Commonwealth walkers, and GB marathon, track and XC runners. Currently his coaching group includes Holly Rush, Kairn Stone and Susie Hignett
- David Sunderland - England Athletics National Coach Mentor (middle distance). David has served as UK Athletics National Coach for middle distance, coached numerous international athletes, national champions and medallists at major championships, and is a IAAF coach educator who has lectured across Asia, Africa and Europe.
- Brian Scobie - England Athletics Area Coach Mentor and coach to former UK record holder for marathon, Veronique Marot, and Angela Pain.
A full weekend is £132 and includes both days, accommodation, dinner and breakfast. Alternatively, each individual day costs £40 per day. To find out more about the weekend itinerary and for booking enquires, go to: www.englandathletics.org/marathonconference